Anti-Fascist, Antifa, Blandine, Christopher, David, Dominic, Eli, Gabriel, GM Tools, In Nomine, Janus, Jean, Jordi, Khalid, Lawrence, Lithroy, Marc, Michael, Novalis, Real World
In light of the recent string of fascist rallies and counter demonstrations that have been taking place in the USA, this seems like a good time to take a break from my “no politics” rule. Sometimes not saying anything at all is itself an act of evil.
However, since this is still an In Nomine blog, I have decided to put together a list of possible anti-fascist actions someone could get involved and the Superior who I think would embrace that approach. If you just want to use this list in game, that’s fine – but I would rather you look through it and pick out a strategy or two that you are willing to use to combat fascism directly in the real world.
More than usual, I should mention that this post is my personal creation. This is not official In Nomine material and has not been endorsed by Steve Jackson Games.
- Create a safe space for members of targeted populations who do not wish to engage with the hate directed against them.
- Make opportunities for members of these communities whenever you can, and respect that their voice is as valid as your own.
- Offer free child care to folks who want to go to area protests or anti-fascist actions.
- Teach the youth in your life about fascism, including fascism in America both before WWII and after.
- Teach self-defense classes to protesters and/or targeted minorities.
- Put yourself on the front line during a protest, either openly or as part of a black bloc.
- Resolve to contact your legislators and executives regularly to advocate for social justice and against fascism.
- Sign up for a mailing list or app that will provide you with regular reminders and suggestions (for example, 5 Calls).
- Write an anti-fascist ‘zine.
- Join a local agitprop theater troupe.
- Drown out hateful speech with bagpipes or brass instruments.
- Help name and shame anyone who takes part in a Nazi or other fascist rally. @YesYoureRacist recently came to prominence for employing this strategy.
- Join an anti-fascist group in your area.
- [EDIT 8/27] Transport friends to & from protest sites.
Be aware that joining an anti-fascist group will likely have you engaging in several of the other activities on this list.
- Track down and monitor online channels where fascists gather and plan.
- Tip off any new targets of their animus.
- Offer free or discounted pet-sitting for people who want to take part in area protests or anti-fascist actions.
- Contact your local religious leaders or the Interfaith Alliance to ask how you can support their efforts in opposing fascism.
- If you are aware of a specific pro-fascist rally or event and your faith community is not, bring it to their attention.
Laurence (The Sword)
- Become a legal observer. The National Lawyer’s Guild offers regular training throughout the USA.
- Teach your friends about the forms that oppression takes in our country (may require listening to folks who experience different forms of oppression from you)
- Acquaint friends who are uncomfortable with direct protest and silencing actions with the paradox of tolerance.
- Turn fascist events into fundraising opportunities for causes they hate (for example: https://www.gofundme.com/adopt-a-nazi-not-really).
- Withhold business from local employers who keep known participants in Nazi rallies on their payroll.
- Punch a Nazi.
- Help anti-fascist protests get so large that there’s no need to punch a Nazi.
- Join or organize a mass non-violent protest.
- Offer direct support (such as meals, medical attention, or pastoral guidance) to other protesters.
- Write letters to your local newspapers and legislators encouraging them to denounce hate.
Michael William Crichton said:
You should also add Demon Princes. Yes, they would support fascists in general, but they’d also support people opposing them in counterproductive ways. Beliel supports firebombing them (thus making them martyrs), Nybbas supports sensationalistic exposes (Which makes them look cool to impressionable viewers), etc.
Yes, that might also eventually makes for a good post (especially if it’s being constructed for a morally gray game divided along heavenly authoritarian/infernally libertarian lines) – but this post is as much a list of ways to possibly get involved as it is an examination of In Nomine Superiors.
As you just pointed out, Infernally favored tactics (in the canon setting) would be inherently destructive or counter productive – and as such do not fit in this post.
What he said. The human evils come first then the supernatural things come second. There is a reason for the Grimdark games to get that title and it’s because the monsters/aliens/etc. have already done away with civilization and replaced it. A “good” game of political horror (for a very loose definition of Good) is one where the human elements in the horror don’t seem to understand the problem they’re a part of and thus blindly stumble into the trap. Body Snatchers original film did this brilliantly by never letting pods be visible unless the authorities made an active search.
As fascinating as that sounds, I think that muddying the waters that way is counterproductive. The entry on Kobalite Problems points out that using Demons that way can end up making the problem worse by providing a smokescreen for those that don’t engage with the actual problem. Take a look at Kobal’s balseraph entry on the Attunement list. It basically boils down to: make an IQ joke, get people to believe it’s true, get a point of essence, repeat. The problem with politically aligned demons is that it lets the human beings point away from themselves by literally claiming that “the devil made me do it”. The phrase literally came from the belief that devil’s command sorcerers who agree to aid them. If you can blame fallen celestials for the behavior then you never need to be self-critical enough to realize what YOU are doing. Their is a reason that games with supernatural Nazis are rare, it delegitimizes the people persecuted by claiming that the Nazis couldn’t have been human and thus were NEVER human. It gives the Nazis an out and thus gives ALL people an out. They can claim that it was all just a delusional fantasy The moment that fascism becomes something Asmodeus started with one of his Propaganda Games is the moment that real fascism is absolved of it’s crimes. Communist IN Nomine at least is enforcing the idea of Communism on ethereal spirits that originally had no part in it. If a demon becomes Fascist then it HAS to support Fascism, otherwise it’s own opposition to heaven doesn’t make any sense. If Demons have ties to fascism then all you’re left with is a revenge fantasy about sending Trump to hell (which I’m pretty sure doesn’t have any exit tethers in the real world ;).